Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 5 fluid ounces milk
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 4 slices hot buttered toast
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and saute the mushrooms for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour, cook for a minute and slowly add the remaining ingredients, stirring continuously until the mixture boils.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pile on top of the hot toast, and serve immediately garnished with parsley.
Devilled Mushrooms on toast - an angelic breakfast. The subtle taste of the Worcestershire sauce, mustard and tomato combine to make this a breakfast dream. So delicious and so easy to make.
This is mildly flavoured, but tasty. I used regular butter and soy sauce, low fat milk, Dijon mustard and toasted white bread. I also added freshly cracked black pepper. I might play around with the quantities for the sauce next time as I found the texture to be a bit slick. I can't think of how else to describe it. Possibly I used a little too much flour and butter.