Recipe by Kitchen Witch Steph
Might refer to this as a retro recipe. We had these on a regular basis growing up. Since I can't find anyone here in Virgina who knows what they are, it may be a Midwest thing. Mom said that you always served them at parties in the 50's & 60's because the boys liked them so much. They became legendary in my group of friends when Mom made them one evening for dinner. The guys kept asking where the tops to their burgers were to get under Mom's skin. It worked (she threatened to never cook for them again) and they still laugh about it today. Boys are rotten. We love them anyway. They did like the burgers! Note: You must use a lean ground beef or there is a tendency to end up with a soggy, greasy bun. Not good.
Top Review by Karen in Kansas
These were very tasty! DH and I both really liked them. Followed recipe exactly and didn't add a thing and they were perfect! I did have to cook just a couple of extra minutes, but that is probably just my oven. Will make these again!
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns, total of 8 bun halves (or 8 slices of bread)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients and mix.
- Divide equal portions of mixture between the eight bun halves and spread on top.
- Make sure to spread mixture out to the edge of the bun as any portion of the bun exposed to the broiler has a tendency to brown too much.
- Place under the broiler for 6-8 minutes.