- 4 cups green beans, pieces in 1 inch lengths
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onions or 1⁄2 cup shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil green beans in 2 cups of water for approximately 6 minutes or until beans are just tender.
- Drain beans, reserving 3 Tbsp cooking liquid.
- (This may be done ahead.) Refrigerate until ready to finish.
- About 15 minutes before serving, warm the bacon grease or olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook just until softened.
- Whisk together the reserved cooking liquid, mustard, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Add to the onions and stir.
- Add the beans and stir to coat.
- Cover and simmer on low for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add salt if needed.