1/1 Photo of Deviled Fried Chicken
24 hrs 15 mins
If you like fried chicken this one is excellent and well worth the time to make! The chicken has to marinate in the buttermilk so you can start it a day or two ahead. this recipe comes from Bon Appetit, 1998.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons onion powder with green onion and parsley
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/4 lb) fryer chickens, backbone removed and chicken cut into 8 pieces with skin removed (except wings)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 5 cups peanut oil (for frying)
- 1In 1-gallon resealable plastic bag, mix buttermilk, Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 1 teaspoon cayenne and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- 2Add chicken pieces.
- 3Seal bag, eliminating air.
- 4Turn bag to coat chicken evenly.
- 5Refrigerate at least 1 day and up to 2 days, turning plastic bag occasionally.
- 6Whisk flour, baking powder, garlic powder, remaining 1 tablespoon onion powder, 4 teaspoons salt, 3 teaspoons dry mustard, 3 teaspoons cayenne and 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper in 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass dish.
- 7With marinade still clinging to chicken pieces (do not shake off excess), add chicken to flour mixture; turn to coat thickly.
- 8Let chicken stand in flour mixture for 1 hour, turning chicken occasionally to recoat with flour mixture.
- 9Pour oil to depth of 1 1/4 inches into deep 10- to 11-inch-diameter pot.
- 10Attach deep-fry thermometer.
- 11Heat oil over medium-high heat to 350°F.
- 12Add 4 pieces of chicken, skinned side down, to oil.
- 13Reduce heat to medium-low and fry 5 minutes, adjusting heat to maintain oil temperature between 280°F and 300°F (oil should bubble constantly around chicken).
- 14Using wooden spoons, turn chicken over.
- 15Fry 7 minutes.
- 16Turn chicken over again.
- 17Fry until deep golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
- 18Using same spoons, transfer chicken to large rack set on baking sheet.
- 19Reheat oil to 350°F.
- 20Repeat frying with remaining 4 pieces of chicken.
- 21Serve chicken warm or at room temperature within 2 hours, or chill up to 1 day and serve cold.
- 22Serves 4.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deviled Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (889 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3698.3
- Calories from Fat 2915
- Total Fat 323.8 g
- Saturated Fat 60.5 g
- Cholesterol 329.5 mg
- Sodium 3791.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 116.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
onion powder with green onion and parsley