Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick and easy, yet tasty, way to prepare any non-oily white fish fillet. White wine, or lime juice may be substituted for the lemon juice . . .
- 4 fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- paprika, as desired
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter the bottom of a baking dish and arrange the fillets within, in one layer.
- Brush each fillet with lemon juice, and dot each with a tablespoon butter.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- While fish bakes, combine all remaining ingredients except for bread crumbs.
- Saute in small frying pan for 3-4 minutes until onion softens.
- Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, mixing well.
- Spread this mixture on top of fillets and bake an additional 6 minutes.
- If desired, broil 1 minute to brown topping.
I used 4 sole fillets. I sprinkled them with a touch of salt, along with the paprika. After sauteeing the onion mixture for the allotted time, the onion wasn't really soft, but I mixed in the crumbs anyway and put it on the fish. After baking, the onions in the topping were absolutely perfect. The flavour of this recipe is truly fantastic!
The mustard mixture was very dry by the time the onions were softened and the flavor was not very pronounced for my tastebuds. I used panko for the breading. Next time I'd saute the onions first, then add the mustard and other topping ingredients.
I made this for dinner last night. It was a very nice way to serve white fish. I used yellowtail (amberjack) filets, caught by my DH. My filets were fairly thick-I approximately doubled the baking time. The mustard mixture smelled so good while sauteeing-and is quite spicy (I guess that is why it is called "deviled"). I topped with fresh onion rye bread crumbs. BTW I think the mustard topping mixture would make a great condiment for grilled burgers or hot dogs. I'm thinking summer...