Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the way deviled eggs were made in Smela Gubernia, Cherkassy, Ukraine by my maternal grandmother. They are not only very different from our traditional deviled eggs, but they are ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS !!!
- 6 eggs
- 2 chicken livers
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped onions or 1⁄8 cup shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- In a small skillet or frying pan saute the chicken livers and the finely chopped onion or shallot in butter.
- When the livers are done, transfer the livers and onion to a medium size bowl and set aside.
- While the livers and onion are cooking, place the 6 eggs in a saucepot and cover the eggs with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook the at a slightly rolling boil for 6 minutes.
- Run the hard boiled eggs under cold water to help cool them.
- Peel the eggs.
- With a sharp knife, slice the eggs in half, lengthwise, and with a teaspoon, remove the yolks, placing the yolks in with the livers and onion.
- Also, in with the livers and onion, add the vinegar.
- With a fork, mash the mixture very well.
- Check the seasoning to see if you need more salt and pepper.
- Fill the egg white halves with the mixture.
- You can either serve them immediately, or you can cover them with plastic wrap and place them into the refrigerator until ready to serve.