Recipe by Wildflour
These are adorable and pretty easy to make, just a tad time-consuming....but worth the smiles they receive!! Hope you try them for Easter or a spring brunch! :)
Top Review by Axe
These were a hit! however....I found that trying to cut the eggs in a zigzag pattern was close to impossible so I cut them straight across and they looked just fine. Check out my pics. Thanks for a keeper!
- 8 extra-large eggs, hard-boiled
- 118.29 ml heavy mayonnaise
- 0.59 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml prepared mustard (table)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- 4 pimento stuffed olives, slice each into 4 slices
- 16 slice red bell peppers, tiny triangles, can sub carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggs in saucepan of cold water.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat, STIRRING GENTLY AND CONSTANTLY, *this keeps the yolks in the center.
- Boil and gently stir for 2 minutes.
- Place on tight fitting lid and turn off heat.
- Let sit for 25 minutes.
- Carefully put eggs into bowl of ice water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully peel eggs. *This is easy if eggs are older.
- Rinse with cold water, place on paper towel.
- Slice thin slice off bottom of each egg, *this will ensure they stand up later.
- With paring knife, cut top third of egg off in a zig-zag pattern. CAREFULLY remove tops.
- CAREFULLY scoop out yolks. *Take your time doing this, you may need to use your paring knife to break up yolks inside to get them out.
- Place yolks in mixing bowl, mash WELL with fork.
- Stir in rest of ingredients except olives and peppers.
- Overfill bottom egg white "shell" with filling, place top "shell" on carefully pressing very gently.
- Place on olive slices for "eyes", pressing them into the filling gently.
- Push 2 triangles of red pepper into filling to make beak.
- *****You may want to boil a few extra eggs for this, in case some of them don't peel well or get wrecked, it happens. Also so that you will have plenty of filling, too! If you boil extra eggs and add the yolks to the filling, just add a bit more of the ingredients to compensate, it'll be fine! ;).