Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Deliciously silky and elegant, this recipe comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3⁄4 cup medium white sauce (Magic White Sauce (and Variations) or your own recipe)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or 2 tablespoons sherry wine)
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, cooked (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- lemon juice
- Add hot white sauce gradually to beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Add crab meat and heat through.
- Add mustard, lemon, Worcestershire or sherry, cayenne, and mushrooms; transfer to oiled shells or individual ramekins.
- Sprinkle lightly with buttered crumbs and parsley; brown in a hot oven (450F) for five minutes.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over the top and serve hot.