Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the absolute best Stuffed Mushroom recipe I've ever found. I've made this many times, and there are never any left no matter how many I make. My brother in law says they're "To Die For!" I adapted this recipe from the Deviled Crab recipe from The Joy of Cooking cookbook. You can make the stuffing a day ahead to save time and keep refrigerated until ready to stuff the mushrooms, and it comes out perfectly. I hope you enjoy this one.
- 3 (8 ounce) packages white button mushrooms
- 12 ounces canned crabmeat (drained and flaked, not lump crabmeat, and not imitation)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup saltine crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Clean mushrooms, remove stems and place in a 13 X 9" baking dish. Place in the baking dish as tightly as you can, because they will slightly shrink when cooked. I use the small to medium mushrooms.
- Drain crabmeat and flake. Set aside.
- In a non stick skillet, cook onions, bell pepper and celery in the butter until the onions are slightly golden. Add milk and cracker crumbs and cook until thickened. It is at this point that you want your mixture to be like a thick batter. Add more cracker crumbs if needed.
- Remove from heat and add the beaten eggs, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, mustard and crabmeat. Mix well.
- Spoon the crab mixture into the mushroom caps until you've used it all.
- Bake at 400 degrees until the peaks of the crab mixture is golden brown.
- Add shredded cheese, as much as you like and bake a little longer until the cheese is melted. You can also use mozzerella, but Monterrey Jack has a bit more flavor. Best served hot or warm, but quite tasty cold too.
Was pretty good. I've never had stuffed mushrooms before, so I'm not sure how these compare though. Like some of the other reviewers, I had too much stuffing, so I just put it inbetween the mushrooms in the casserole dish.
Everyone loved this! I didn't have enough mushrooms. So I put half in the mushrooms and half in a small casserole dish. Both were very successful. We'll make this again. Yum.
This recipe is truly to die for, melt in your mouth.