Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery (1979 edition).
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup soft fresh breadcrumb
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (like Grey Poupon)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Leave crabmeat in large lumps.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter; stir in flour and gradually stir in cream.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick; remove from heat.
- Combine fresh bread crumbs, egg, green pepper, onion and seasonings; mix in the cream sauce.
- Add the crabmeat and mix lightly; Divide into eighths.
- Place Panko in a shallow pan and put 1/8 of the crab mixture on top of the crumbs; sprinkle dry crumbs on top and shape into a patty; repeat for the remaining crab mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet and saute crab cakes until lightly browned; add more butter as needed.
- Remove carefully and serve warm.