Top Review by susie cooks
This is a nice clam recipe with a little kick. I could not find chowder clams so I had to use littlenecks and adjust some of the measurements. I left the clams whole because they were so little.. The stuffing mix was great. I will definitely make these again. Hopefully, with the bigger clams.
- 3 dozen chowder clams, well cleaned (quahogs)
- 3 green bell peppers
- 3 red bell peppers
- 4 large yellow onions
- 2 lbs sliced bacon
- 1⁄3 bunch parsley
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons lowry seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 12 medium torpedo rolls
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a food processor (do not clean between ingredients).
- Finely slice the torpedo rolls and set aside.
- Finely chop bacon and put in a large, deep saute pan and put on medium heat.
- Medium chop peppers, onions, and parsley and add to cooking bacon.
- Add garlic powder, seasoning salt, and cayenne pepper to mix and cook for 10 minutes.
- Put aside to cool.
- To open clams,place in large baking pan (s) 1 to 2" deep.
- Place in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes, or until opened slightly,remove fron oven and let cool enough to handle.
- Open clams, reserving the liquid for later use,and chop meat medium fine.
- Separate and save clam shells.
- In a large bowl,combine the clams and bacon/vegetable mix.
- Add the sliced rolls a cup at a time,adding the reserved clam juice,if necessary,to keep the consistency of a slightly wet stuffing.
- Spoon fill clam shells with stuffing mix, sprinkle bread crumbs over stuffing,and top with lighty sprinkled paprika for color.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Bread crumbs should be lightly browned, and clams and vegetables tender.