Top Review by KMango
Fantastic! I never knew that clam stuffed mushrooms would be so easy, and this recipe welcomes innovation. I used a whole wheat english muffin as the bread crumb base, substituted fresh garden basil for the parsley, and doubled the garlic amount. I used the butter as described, but you could sharply reduce the fat count if you (a) use spray oil on the baking dish rather than apply melted butter to the mushroom caps and (b)saute the garlic with just a touch of butter and some additional reserved clam juice. You may also need to increase the baking time to 10 minutes until the mushrooms just begin to drop their juices. Try this recipe, it is a fantastic springboard for flavor!
- 12 large mushrooms
- melted margarine or melted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) canminced clams, drained,reserving 2 tbsp of liquid
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (2 slices)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 400 degrees Remove and finely chop mushroom stems, set aside.
- Brush caps with melted margarine.
- In med.
- skillet, cook Garlic in 2 tbsp.
- butter until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and remaining ingredients except mushroom caps, mix well.
- Put mixture into mushroom caps.
- Place in shallow baking pan.
- Bake about 8 minutes or until hot.