Recipe by Sarah Klass
My mum has made this for years - I think it comes from a Family Circle box of recipes on individual cards that she has had for as long as I can remember. I love it as it reminds me of home!
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skin on
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oil, extra
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt, pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in hot oil until golden, then remove from heat, drain and place in casserole or baking dish.
- Cook onion and garlic in extra oil until transparent, add lemon juice, lemon rind, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, curry powder, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to boil, then remove from heat and pour over chicken pieces.
- Bake, covered in a moderate oven 1 to 1 and a quarter hours or until chicken is tender.