Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Based on a recipe from Cook’s Country magazine, February/March 2006. Makes 24 cupcakes, although it can be easily halved. The editors say, “If you don’t have bar or block chocolate on hand, use semisweet chips in the cake and frosting.” I frost these using White Chocolate Frosting or Dark Chocolate Frosting. Did you know that unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days? They may also be individually wrapped in plastic and frozen in a zipper-lock bag for up to 1 month.
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder or 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 4 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- Place oven rack in lower-middle position and heat oven to 350° degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In small bowl whisk together boiling water, cocoa, chocolate, and espresso powder.
- In medium bowl whisk eggs, sour cream, and vanilla together until well combined.
- Using electric mixer on low speed, combine flour, baking soda, salt, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl until blended. Incorporate butter by mixing it in on low speed, about 1 minute. Add egg mixture in 2 additions, then beat at medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add chocolate mixture and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Divide batter evenly among the prepared 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake until tester inserted in cupcake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 20 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in muffin tins for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on wire rack.
- Frost using recipe #414787 (White Chocolate Frosting) or recipe #414801 (Dark Chocolate Frosting) if desired.
Excellent texture, excellent taste, excellent cupcake. These babies are the bomb. Big, tall, tender and full of chocolate flavor, simply perfection. They really didn't need anything else in my opinion but i did frost with your Dark Chocolate Frosting. Thank you for sharing this excellent recipe that has gone into my keeper box.