Devil’s Food Chocolate Ice Cream
- Break up the chocolate and place it, with the milk and honey in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Scrape the bottom and sides constantly with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is melted and then whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Meanwhile, place the yolks in a stand mixer bowl and beat to mix.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until the mixture becomes slightly pale.
- Then, very slowly and on low speed, add the warm chocolate mixture and beat until smooth; it will be thick.
- Transfer the mixture to a large heavy saucepan; cook over low heat, you must scrape the bottom and sides constantly with a large wide rubber spatula, until the mixture reaches 140° on a candy thermometer.
- Gradually whisk in the cream; stir occasionally until cool.
- Chill in the freezer or refrigerator until very cold, and then freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.