Devil(Ed) Crab Rolls from Tampa
- Soak American bread in water 15 minutes. Remove, squeeze until almost dry. Add Cuban bread gradually until dough is formed. Add paprika, salt. Mix well. Make ball from dough. Place in fridge about 3 hours.
- Crab Mix:.
- Fry onion, pepper(s), garlic, hot pepper in oil for 15 minutes (Very slowly) add bay leaves, sugar, salt, tomato paste. Stir. Cover and cook 15 minutes on low heat. Add crabmeat. Cook 10 minutes and then uncover. Keep in fridge 2 hours.
- Take about 3 tablespoons dough. Press in the palm of your hand. Add 1 tbsp crab mix. Seal like croquette with 2 pointed ends. (Think footballs).
- Dip into following mixture:.
- 2 eggs well beaten with ½ cup milk, salt, dash black pepper. Mix 1cup cracker meal and ½ cup flour. Roll croquettes first in cracker/flour, then in egg mix, then in cracker/flour again. Refrigerate 2 hours (Never get the idea this is not something you dash off at the last minute!). Fry in deep fat until brown.
- Prep time is the longest part of this, once they are made cooking is a snap.