Member #610488's Note:
Featured at the 2012 EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival as the entry from Germany.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Gently mix apples, raisins, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside.
- 3Toast bread crumbs in a small saute pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- 4Place a kitchen towel on a large work surface. Spread one sheet of phyllo dough on the kitchen towel and lightly brush the entire surface with melted butter. Layer another sheet on top, butter, and continue the process until all sheets are stacked.
- 5Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs along the longest side of the top sheet of buttered phyllo dough. Spread apple mixture on top of the bread crumbs.
- 6Roll the strudel, jelly-roll fashion, using the towel to help shape the dough, starting from the apple mixture side to the opposite end. While rolling, make sure that apples do not spill from the ends. Place seam side down on baking sheet and brush with remaining melted butter.
- 7Using a large spatula, place strudel on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
- 8Let cool at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Slice strudel with a serrated knife into 6 portions; top with whipped cream.
- 9NOTE: Frozen phyllo dough is readily available in supermarkets. It's best thawed overnight in the refrigerator in original packaging. (If you thaw at room temperature the dough becomes very moist and sheets will stick together.) If the dough cracks or tears, just trim. If you are mid-recipe, just put another sheet over the damaged sheet; once baked, the tear won't be noticeable.
Nutritional Facts for Deutschland Apfelstrudel
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.4
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 115.3 mg
- Sodium 435.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g