1 hr 30 mins
To make the Classic Detroit Coney Dog - Bun, pork & beef dog, yellow mustard, this sauce, white onion, It freezes well, so make a big batch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 lb ground beef heart
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or beef)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1Mix the chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- 2In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef and beef heart for 5 minutes or until brown. Crumble it as it cooks so it is brown all over.
- 3Pour the meat into a strainer and drain the fat into a small sauce pan. Discard all but 3 tablespoons of fat.
- 4Whisk the fat and flour together over medium heat. This makes a roux. Cook it, stirring frequently, until it turns amber, about 15 minutes. Then whisk in the chicken stock, tomato paste, and vinegar. Simmer on low while you --
- 5Add the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper to the ground meat in the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 6Push everything aside and add the spices and cook in contact with the bottom of the pan for 2 minutes, stirring so the spices don't stick to the bottom. This "blooms" the flavor. Then mix them in with the meat.
- 7Add the roux mix ingredients and stir it inches Simmer for at least 15 minutes, an hour is better.
- 8Pour 1/3 of the mix into your blender and puree it until it is pasty, and mix it back inches If you prefer you can use a stick blender to get the mix thick.
- 9Taste and add more of whatever you want.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Detroit Coney Hot Dog Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1690.5
- Calories from Fat 829
- Total Fat 92.1 g
- Saturated Fat 35.2 g
- Cholesterol 594.7 mg
- Sodium 3924.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.1 g
- Sugars 27.7 g
- Protein 139.5 g