Recipe by Ambervim
To make the Classic Detroit Coney Dog - Bun, pork & beef dog, yellow mustard, this sauce, white onion, It freezes well, so make a big batch.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef heart
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or beef)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef and beef heart for 5 minutes or until brown. Crumble it as it cooks so it is brown all over.
- Pour the meat into a strainer and drain the fat into a small sauce pan. Discard all but 3 tablespoons of fat.
- Whisk the fat and flour together over medium heat. This makes a roux. Cook it, stirring frequently, until it turns amber, about 15 minutes. Then whisk in the chicken stock, tomato paste, and vinegar. Simmer on low while you --
- Add the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper to the ground meat in the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Push everything aside and add the spices and cook in contact with the bottom of the pan for 2 minutes, stirring so the spices don't stick to the bottom. This "blooms" the flavor. Then mix them in with the meat.
- Add the roux mix ingredients and stir it inches Simmer for at least 15 minutes, an hour is better.
- Pour 1/3 of the mix into your blender and puree it until it is pasty, and mix it back inches If you prefer you can use a stick blender to get the mix thick.
- Taste and add more of whatever you want.