Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This version, slightly adapted from the 'Detox Recipe' book is a healthy, delicious option to consider for breakfast. Even my kids would forego a Macdonalds to have this sprinkled on some Greek yoghurt with a drizzle of honey.... To get the 'full' detox effect however eat with skimmed/rice milk or natural yoghurt and fresh fruit.
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees C/Gas mark 5.
- In a large bowl mix oats, sunflower seeds, almonds and hazlenuts.
- In a separate bowl combine the honey, oil, water, vanilla extract and cinnamon. I find putting this in the microwave for a minute heats it sufficiently to mix the ingredients.
- Add liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread out on a large baking tray and bake in the oven for 30/40 minutes. You will need to stir/turn it occasionally until evenly browned. I wait until it is done then turn off the oven and leave the door open. This way it seems to fully dry out and stays crisp for longer.
- When cool add the apricots, cut into thin slivers. Mix and store in an airtight tub.
- A nice alternative is to use pecan nuts instead of hazlenuts. Do crush/chop the nuts yourself though as, if you buy the uniformly shop bought chopped ones, the texture is all wrong.
I made this today and it turned out really good. I did make some substitutions with the nuts. I used cashews and pecans rather than the almonds and hazelnuts because that is what I had in the cupboard. I also used raisins in place of the apricots since that is the only dried fruit I had on hand. I would recommend when measuring everything out and adding to the bowl, to measure the oil and THEN the honey, as the oil will allow the honey to slide right out of the measuring spoon. When baking I had to convert celsius to farenheit and came up with something btwn 325-350 degrees. I ended up removing it from the oven after 25 mins because it was beginning to look too dark and to smell like it was starting to burn a bit. So I either got the conversion wrong or my oven runs hotter than it should. Either way it still tasted delicious. I will definately be making this again. Thanks!
I did not measure ingredients exactly. I used old fashioned oats, raw sunflower seeds, slivered almonds (the thicker ones), creamed honey, unrefined sunflower oil, halal vanilla paste, plus the rest except for the hazelnuts as I didn't have any of them or pecans. The granola did not clump for me which I love. I won't try this recipe again.