Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
Today is Gandhi Jayanti, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi(fondly known as "Bappuji") the Father of the Nation, India. Sai and me share him for our favourite leader. May his soul rest in peace. I made this sweet rice as a grand finale(dessert) for our dinner tonight and it was well enjoyed by all in my family. Hope you like it as much as we did.
- 1 cup long-grain basmati rice, soaked for 2 hours in
- 4 drops pineapple essence
- 4 cups water, to cook the rice
- 2 -3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 4 -5 saffron strands
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, sliced
- 1 tablespoon almonds, blanched and thinly sliced
- 4 -5 slices pineapple, for garnishing (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp. of salt in a skillet.
- Add cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower flame, add rice and stir well.
- Parboil rice until half cooked.
- Strain well.
- Keep aside.
- In a pot, heat ghee on medium flame.
- Add raisins, pistachios and almonds.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, food colour, pineapple essence and warm water.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add saffron and 1/2 to 1 tsp. of cardamom powder.
- Mix in the strained rice.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook on simmer for 10-15 minutes(your kitchen will smell wonderful while this is cooking!) or until the rice is dry and fluffy, stirring every 5 minutes so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer to a serving tray.
- Garnish with pineapple slices, if desired and serve.