Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is such a delightful dessert and looks so good when served. I really impressed the guys at deer camp with this one. I could only approximate the prep time and cook time.
- 3 lbs tart green apples, peeled,cored,sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1⁄2 cup apricot jam
- 2 lemons, zest of, of grated
- freshly grated nutmeg
- apple pie spice
- 1 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 package egg roll wrap
- caramel sauce
- Place apples, apple juice, sugar, jam, zest, nutmeg, and apple pie spice in a large heavy skillet Cook over med-high heat, covered, until apples are tender, about 10-15 minutes Stir in walnuts and taste and adjust seasonings.
- Place several tablespoon of filling at an angle in the center of an eggroll wrapper.
- Roll up like an envelope Lightly moistening edges with water to seal Place seam-side down on buttered baking sheet.
- Repeat until all filling is used Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place under hot broiler until golden about 3-5 minutes To serve: Place caramel sauce into individual dessert plates and place egg rolls on top.
These were tasty! I'm not sure if I did the 'rolling' right, but mine were like little purses or envelopes. I followed other reviewers who used Pam, but, may try the butter next time. I also sprinkled with some vanilla sugar, which I happened to hve on hand. Mine did not crisp up the way I would have liked, but that may have been my fault. I will make them again, as they are unlike any I've had before! Thanks for sharing, ~Nimz~! Made for ZWT 6.
The taste of the filling is so good. I thought I had apricot jam but didn't. So I used apple jelly. I used only cinnamon (didn't use nutmeg and apple pie spice). But I added a lot of cinnamon since I love the taste. I had a little bit of trouble rolling it. In fact I did them like egg rolls. But it was my first time working with egg roll wrap. I sprayed them with buttered flavor PAM. They were crispy after 4 minutes. The thing I didn't like is that under they're a bit too moist. I would like them to be crisp both sides. Maybe it would be great to cook them on baking racks on a baking pan. Or flip them after 2 minutes. Thanks Nimz. Made for Zaar Star Game
The filling for this dessert has a wonderful taste. I served it with Pecan Praline Topping on the side. We think next time we might use the filling on puff pastry for turnovers. This is also very easy to make for a quick snack. Thanks for posting.