My mother captured the original recipe in the early 1970's (I still remember transcribing the recipe card on our old manual typewriter).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut beef into very small pieces.
- 2Brown slightly, add 3/4 cup water and other ingredients cut up into small pieces.
- 3Simmer till beef is done.
- 4My notes:.
- 5* This recipe was written when stew beef was the scribbly bits they cut off of everything else and was about the cheapest meat available. I suppose you could use store-ground beef for the same reason; if so it should be drained before adding the other ingredients. I used "beef for stroganoff" because it was the cheapest cut available that day. The meat is cut small to cook faster.
- 6* I think the recipe is calling for 1 green pepper, chopped.
- 7* I used the mushrooms undrained for a bit more liquid; it does boil away.
- 8* The gravy is like an au-jus when you're done. I thickened it with a tablespoon of cornstarch to make a more substantial gravy.
- 9* This is a sort of stove-top stew. It predates Hamburger Helper. It's not a bad recipe, but could do with some tweaking.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Desperation Beef
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.5
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 131.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 36.6 g