1/2 Photos of Desperate Housewives Secret Lemon Meringue Pie
4 hrs 35 mins
Katherine Mayfair's secret recipe that made Bree Van De Kamp furious, because "the girls" liked the new neighbor's pie better than Bree's! Bree tried to break into her house to steal the recipe but was unsuccessful. I don't see an exact duplicate on Zaar so maybe it is a secret....not anymore! I like that it's not too sweet, and use Boyajian Lemon Oil in place of the zest, which gives it a strong lemon flavor. Cook time includes chill time. Adapted from Wisteria Lane.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked (Pillsbury is great, if you don't have time to make your own)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (juice of approx. two lemons)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind (or several drops lemon oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1PIE FILLING: Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in the top of a double boiler.
- 2Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- 3Cover the pan and allow to cook 10 minutes longer.
- 4Stir occasionally.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl and add about half a cup of the thickened milk.
- 7Stir this mixture back into the double boiler.
- 8Cook and stir over boiling water for 5-6 minutes.
- 9Add the butter, lemon juice and rind; stir together until the butter melts, then remove from the heat.
- 10Cool this custard, approximately 30 minutes, stirring gently every 10 minutes or so.
- 11When cool, pour into the pie shell.
- 12MERINGUE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 13Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until they are stiff but not dry.
- 14Beat in the sugar slowly, followed by the vanilla.
- 15Heap onto the pie and spread with a rubber spatula across the entire crust, then "anchor" the meringue to the edge of the crust. As long as the meringue touches the crust, it won't pull away or shrink in the oven. Use a light back and forth motion of the spatula to make decorative waves in the meringue.
- 16Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the meringue is delicately browned on top.
- 17Cool pie at room temperature, approximately three hours. Serve and graciously say "sorry" when people ask for the recipe!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Desperate Housewives Secret Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.2
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 89.7 mg
- Sodium 285.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 5.8 g