Recipe by ginisrecipegems
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry. A complete meal by itself - this dish can easily be made vegetarian by eliminating the bacon and sausage. While the crust is baking you have plenty of time to prep your vegetables and other ingredients for the quiche. The dish bakes to a golden color and makes a beautiful main dish for week-end or holiday brunches. I love to serve with fresh salsa, sliced tomatoes and fruit. In a hurry? Use Simply Potatoes® Southwest Style Hash Browns with the melted butter and eliminate the remaining ingredients for the crust. This dish serves 12 hungry amigos and is well received for an office breakfast potluck. Leftovers are great heated up in the microwave.
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, seeds and membrane removed
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup bacon bits
- 1⁄2 lb Jimmy Dean sausage, browned and drained
- 12 ounces hatch green chilies, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 7 green onions, sliced
- 4 ounces ripe olives, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups colby cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 14 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix first seven ingredients together in a bowl.
- Grease 9.5” x 13.5” x 2.5” glass baking dish.
- Evenly distribute Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns mixture in baking dish and lightly press to form crust.
- Brush top of hash brown mixture with the melted butter.
- Bake @ 425 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes (until crust is golden brown).
- Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- For quiche: Layer first eight (8) quiche ingredients on the Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Brown crust - in order listed.
- Beat whole milk, eggs and 1 teaspoon salt together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over other ingredients.
- Use caution when putting back into the oven – baking dish will still be hot.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes, or until a knife in center comes out clean.