Cook1 hr 30 mins
Similar to mandabears' Thisbe Fruit Loaf, this cake looks like it would be a welcome addition to a Sunday brunch. I have not tried this one yet but plan to soon. Submitted for the UK leg of the Zaar World Tour.
- 1 lb mixed dried fruit
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot black tea (English Breakfast or Earl Grey would be best suited to this recipe)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade or 2 tablespoons citris marmalade
- cooking spray
- Put the dried fruit and the sugar into a mixing bowl, add the hot tea and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray and line a 7 inch cake pan or a loaf pan.
- Stir the egg, flour, spices and the marmalade into the fruit, sugar and tea mixture. Pour into the cake pan or the loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 -2 hours until firm to the touch or until a skewer pushed into the cake comes out clean. Do not open the oven during the first hour of baking time.