Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A staple at any true Derby party in the Blue Grass State, this cheese spread recipe is a bit different from others, as it contains Swiss cheese. I can't take total credit for it, as I got the recipe from a friend and tweaked it a bit. This makes a HUGE amount, so you may want to cut the recipe in half or even fourths, depending on how many people you will be serving. Important- allow 4-5 days for the cheese to age before serving.
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 lb swiss cheese, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup dark beer, opened, at room temperature. (I have also used Schoenling Little Kings, a cream ale. I believe any full-flavored beer or ale will )
- Place all ingredients into a bowl of electric mixer and mix well using paddle attachment if possible. Or place all ingredients into a food processor and mix well. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Divide cheese into six 8 oz. containers and wrap well in plastic wrap. Age the beer cheese for 4-5 days in refrigerator before serving.
- Before serving, allow cheese to come to room temperature. Serve with crackers, bagel chips, or pretzels.
- Note: I have frozen this, sometimes with good results, and sometimes not!