Recipe by Satisfied Kris
Our Annual Kentucky Derby party has some participants who can't drink alcohol (medical reasons), or don't like the taste of bourbon (in Mint Juleps). This recipe solved our problem. It was slightly adapted for easier transport from the recipe at www.mixed-drink.com. Now everyone (Mint Julep and Kentucky Derby drinkers) can toast the start of the race together. It's a different taste, but refreshing. Cook time is standing time. Prep time includes squeezing the lemons. Servings is estimated. Hope you enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 sprigs mint (the leaves only)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts ginger ale
- 15 sprigs mint (garnish)
- 15 soda straws
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the lemon juice, sugar and water in a medium sized bowl, mix.
- Add the torn leaves of 4 mint sprigs (minus the stems), mix.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes.
- Strain/Pour the mixture into a 1 gallon container (throw away the mint leaves).
- Add the 1 1/2 quarts of ginger ale to the container.
- Fill a high ball sized glass with crushed ice and 1 whole mint sprig.
- Pour the"Kentucky Derby" mixture into the glass, add a straw and serve.
- NOTE: The mixture will actually fit into a 1/2 gallon container- barely.