Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was served at Governor John Y. Brown's Derby day breakfast. The recipe is from a May 1982 issue on Bon Appetit in the "Bon Voyage" section that featured recipes from Kentucky.
- 4 ears corn, kernels scraped (preferably white) or 1 (12 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- oil (for deep frying)
- maple syrup or sifted powdered sugar
- Combine corn,egg,flour,sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in medium bowl and mix well.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or skillet to 375 degrees.
- Drop batter into oil by spoonfuls (do not crowd pan) and fry, turning once, until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain thoroughly on paper towels.
- Serve fritters hot with maple syrup or dust lightly with powdered sugar and serve.