Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My granmother made this. It melts in your mouth .
- 2 -3 slices white bread, fresh & soft crusts trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Break crustless bread into small pieces to make 1 1/2 Cups.
- Add butter and pour boiling water on top. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch, add beaten egg yolks, juice and zest.
- Pour over bread and stir until creamy.
- Pour into pieshell and bake at 400 until crust is golden brown and filling is set. About 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cover with meringue made by beating 2 egg whites till foamy and gradually adding 4 Tbsp of sugar.
- Bake in 325 oven till lightly browned.
I am looking for economical easy pie recipes. This fits the criteria. I did not use all of the lemon zest as the recipe stated, but three long strips of zest, cut in small lengths. I also did not make the meringue. We like cool whip or whipped cream on top. This was so creamy and lemoney. It was quick using the microwave for the water. I did prebake the crust a little so it would not get soggy. I also wrapped the edges of the crust with foil to prevent extra browning. Thanks for posting.
Before I just saw this recipe I used to make this, without the bread or zest, but with evrything else. The filling is the same as the commercial boxed fillings, and it makes a great pie!