Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This cake was made on two occasions, once with butter and one time using 1/2 cup Canola oil in place of the butter and had good results using the oil --- this is a moist cake that is full of flavor, raisins may used instead of dates or a mixture of both --- because of the sweet glaze I found that 3/4 cup sugar for the cake batter was plenty, if you have an extreme sweet tooth then use 1 cup --- this freezes well :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates (can use raisins)
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch glass baking pan.
- In a bowl cream the butter with egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Place the buttermilk into a bowl.
- In a small cup or bowl dissolve the baking soda in warm water and stir into the buttermilk.
- In another bowl sift the flour with baking powder, salt and orange zest; add into creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture; stir until blended.
- Mix in the nuts and raisins.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- For the glaze; in a bowl mix orange juice with 1/2 cup sugar and pour over the hot cake while still in the pan to form a glaze.
- Cool before slicing.