Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from an elderly neighbor a few years ago and my son frequently requests it! The name, my neighbor said, came from the days of the Great Depression, when stretching everything was a must. It's quick, easy, cheap to make and very good, too! The mashed potatoes are a guess - fix what you need to feed your family!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- Mix vinegar and sugar. Add onion.
- Allow the onion to marinate, in the refrigerator, until dinnertime (the longer the better, at our house).
- Brown the ground beef, adding salt to taste.
- Make an indentation in individual portions of mashed potatoes.
- Fill indentations with beef and spoon the marinated onions and sauce over over the meat.