1/1 Photo of Depression Crab Salad
This was fixed by my grandmother every Thanksgiving and was my favorite dish. It was a dish her family made during the depression, crab must have been prevalent then. Very simple to make with only 4 ingredients. My niece that hates onions even loves this. My measurements are not exact because I just throw it together, you may need to adjust it some. Wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it in our family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large bowl add shredded lettuce in 1/4-inch strips the thiner the better, but not too thin.
- 2Dice onion and add to bowl. You can use less or more onion, but it has to have onion. I often add more depending on the hotness of the onion.
- 3Chop crab and add to bowl, sometimes I add more crab.
- 4Rule that I generally use is for every head of lettuce, I use at least 4 oz (or more) of crab and 1/2 of an onion.
- 5Add 1 cup mayonnaise to bowl toss, add rest of mayonnaise by 1/2 cup tossing well after each. You may not need it all depending on the size of your heads of lettuce.
- 6Salt and pepper to taste. This requires a lot of pepper you should be able to see the little black dots.
- 7Left over this is good it seems to marinate and become even better.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Depression Crab Salad
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.9
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 408.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: