Prep 8 mins
Cook 40 mins
I can't remember where I found this recipe. It must be called Depression Cake because there are no eggs in it. It tastes great though, especially with chocolate cream cheese frosting, but any frosting recipe can be used.
- 3 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- Using a manual egg beater, mix together the above ingredients until just blended. Do not over mix.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13" one layer cake pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until it tests done.
- The following cream cheese frosting is not "Depression Era" but is excellent with the cake:.
- 2 squares (4 oz. total) unsweetened baking chocolate; 8 oz. pkg cream cheese - softened; 4 Table butter - softened; 4 cups powdered sugar; 1 teaspoons vanilla; milk as needed - adding 1 Table. at a time.
- Melt the chocolate and set aside. In a mixing bowl put the cream cheese and butter and beat with a mixer until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until all 4 cups are added. Add vanilla and melted chocolate. Mixture will be a little thick, so slowly add milk until the desired consistency is reached.
I was so happy to find this recipe. My grandmother used to make it and I always loved it. She never frosted hers because I didn't care for frosting. She sometimes put a little powdered sugar in a sifter or strainer & dusted it over the top of the cake. I made mine with canola which made it healthier. Good recipe for someone who can't eat eggs. Makes a moist cake.