Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Best Loved Casseroles. I haven't made this yet, but wanted to post it here for safe keeping. Remember, egg whites must be free from any yolk to reach proper volume when beaten.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 1 1/2-quart souffle dish with 1 tablespoon butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle bottom and side of dish evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in medium heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell peppers.
- Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender stirring occasionally.
- Transfer mixture to small bowl and set aside.
- Combine milk, cornmeal, and salt in same saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese until melted, then stir in onion mixture.
- Beat egg whites in clean large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until stiff but not dry; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in separate large bowl. Stir into cornmeal mixture. Stir 1/3 of egg whites into cornmeal mixture. Fold remaining egg whites into cornmeal mixture until well blended.
- Pour into souffle dish.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.