Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'American Home Cooking' by Cheryl & Bill Jamison
- 4 large slice sourdough bread
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 4 bacon, slices chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- Generously butter both sides of each slice of bread.
- Cook the bread on a griddle over medium heat until lightly brown and crisp on both sides, about 8 minutes.
- Keep the bread warm.
- Briefly whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper and 2 tablespoons water.
- Add splashes of hot sauce if desired.
- Whisk just enough to combine the yolks and whites barely.
- Warm a 7- to 8-inch omelet pan or skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium heat.
- Scatter half of the bacon in the pan and cook until brown and crisp.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain it.
- Add half of the butter to the pan, swirling it to coat the entire surface thoroughly.
- Stir in half the onion and bell pepper, and saute until softened and the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high.
- Add half of the egg mixture and swirl it to coat the entire pan.
- Let the pan sit directly over the heat a few seconds, until the eggs firm in teh bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the cooked bacon evenly over the eggs.
- Tilt the pan so the uncooked egg can flow to the bottom of the pan.
- The eggs should cook just a touch longer than a traditional omelet, remaining moist but not wet at the center.
- Pull the pan sharply toward you several times, and then tilt the pan so that the back half of the omelet begins to roll over the front portion.
- Use a spatula to help fold over the eggs evenly.
- The omelet should be golden outside.
- Tip the omelet out onto one of the grilled bread slices, shaping it with the spatula, if needed.
- Top with the other slice of grilled bread; halve if you wish, and serve the first sandwich.
- Wipe out the skillet and immediately repeat the process with the remaining bread and filling ingredients.