Recipe by Lennie
I found this recipe in the column written by Marty Meitus in the June 6/01 issue of Denver's Rocky Mountain News--hence the name I've given it. It's great! I like it with black beans, but Ms. Meitus says she prefers only red kidney beans in this. It's perfect when a crowd gathers, particularly for a party, to watch a sporting event on tv, etc. Prep time includes the chilling time.
- 2 (16 ounce) jars chunky salsa (medium or mild, your call)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (leaves only, no stems)
- 1⁄3 cup canned corn niblet, well drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained well,rinsed,then drained well again
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together salsa, sugar and lime juice.
- Gently stir in all remaining ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Serve, with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Recipe easily doubles, and triples-- you just need a big bowl and a big crowd!