Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I make these when I have extra time, pop them in the freezer and the kids have something to grab, pop in the microwave and out to the bus on those hectic mornings!
- 6 eggs, scrambled
- 4 ounces cooked sausage (or both) or 4 ounces bacon (or both)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mushroom
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices cheese, your choice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 12 slices bread
- Combine eggs, meat, onion, peppers, mushrooms and salt and pepper in a bowl, mix well.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place 6 slices butter side down on a baking sheet.
- Layer with egg mixture.
- Top with slice of cheese.
- Top with remaining bread butter side up.
- Brown bread on both sides under broiler.
- Serve Immediately or freeze for later.
I cooked it more like a regular omelet and then transferred it to the broiler with the buttered bread and cheese. It tasted very good, the veggies were great. It is quite greasy just as a grilled cheese but good just the same. I can't see myself scrambling the eggs and having the veggies seperate. I thought I would but then it seemed easier and less messy to go the other route when I already had the frying pan out. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Can't wait to try it. It sounds delicious!
Love these sandwiches. I omit the cheese and mix hot sauce and/or various seasonings into the eggs while I scramble them. Usually use bacon. Thanks, Laurie!