Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was wanting something different for breakfast and was doing some browsing. I found a couple of recipes for omelet sandwiches but did not have the proper ingredients and was inspired to create this delicious breakfast treat. The bread I used was a green chili cheese bread; however any good quality bread cut 1/2 inch thick will work.
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, divided, softened
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten or 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt or 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 4 slices bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- To an 8-inch omelet pan, add 1 to 2 teaspoons butter and place over medium heat to warm.
- Add the sliced onions and bell peppers, stirring until onions are wilted.
- Stir in the diced Canadian bacon and cook until warmed.
- Beat together the eggs and yogurt/sour cream, salt and pepper, pour over onion mixture and cook until bottom is set.
- As the egg sets, pull cooked portion to the center allowing the uncooked portions to run to bottom of pan.
- When omelet is set on bottom there are a couple of options, if you have another omelet pan the same size, you can flip the omelet into the other, you could put under the broiler the broiler for a few minutes to set or if you are really good flip the omelet and allowing it to finish cooking.
- Lightly butter the bread with softened butter, cut omelet in half and using half for each sandwich place on unbuttered side of bread, top with shredded cheese and cover with remaining slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook on preheated Panini press as per manufacturer’s recommendations until browned.
We really enjoyed this sandwich; I made it on my Cuisinart Griddler and used Egg Beaters. What a treat.Thanks for posting. I made it for 123 Hit wonders tag game.
I used low-sodium bacon and cooked it first until crispy. Then I added it with the eggs. I used plain yogourt (2 big tablespoon). I used Kaiser bread and omitted the green pepper. It was a good breakfast. Will do it again. Thanks Paula. Made for 123 hit wonders.
this was a wonderful breakfast/brunch. (ok for me breakfast but i wake up late :))