4 hrs 20 mins
Good old fashioned French Canadian Pea Soup! If you like your pea soup thick and full of texture, you'll enjoy this! ( Though I enjoy starting soup in the morning on my days off, you can soak your peas overnight in cold water, but I don't recommend it for this recipe). I always make a lot of soup for freezing, feel free to half the recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs yellow split peas (one pound reserved)
- 1 ham hocks or 1 ham bone
- 8 cups chicken stock (2 store bought boxes)
- 7 -8 cups water
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 2 large carrots (finely chopped)
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (finely chopped) (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 -7 sprigs fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme, or 2 tsp ground savory)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (or 2, I prefer allowing people to add salt @ the table)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 1- Slice bacon into 1" squares, then fry, set aside, (reserve drippings).
- 2- Rinse and sort out unwanted peas.
- 3- In a large pot, combine two thirds of the peas with water and stock, bring to a boil.
- 4- Meanwhile, chop carrot, onions celery, and garlic, then saute in bacon fat for 2 minutes.
- 5- Ounce peas are boiling, turn down to low, add ham hock, bacon, sauteed vegetables, whole sprigs of thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- 6- Simmer 2 to 3 hours stirring occasionally, until peas are softened.
- 7- Remove ham, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves.
- 8- Remove bone and fat from ham, then dice up ham.
- 9- Return ham along with reserved peas, ( this will provide that wonderful texture).
- 10- Stirring occasionally, Simmer for 1 to 2 additional hours or until it reaches desired consistency.
- 11- Add salt and Pepper to taste, enjoy!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Den's Split Pea Soup and Ham
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.9
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.2 mg
- Sodium 747.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.4 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: