Prep 2 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another copycat recipe I found somewhere. From www.TopSecretRecipes.com The original recipe called for butter to fry the french toast in. I find it is not needed when you cook this on a nonstick grill or in a well seasoned cast iron frying pan. I have increased the amount of cinnamon in it, and added some nutmeg as well. You can make this up and freeze it for a quick breakfast, pop a couple of slices in the toaster to reheat. I normally use bread that is cut about 3/4" thick. If you let your bread soak in the mixture you will not get as many servings. You will also have to watch that it is cooked through to avoid the risk of salmonella from the eggs. Serve with your favorite syrups, fresh fruit and whipped cream, or a warm fruit sauce.
- 4 large eggs (extra large are fine as well)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 15 -18 slices bread, 3/4-inch thick
- Whisk eggs.
- Whisk in the other ingredients.
- Dip bread in egg mixture to coat both sides.
- Let excess batter drain off.
- Cook on hot grill till golden, flip and continue cooking.
- Keep warm in oven while you cook the rest.
- Dust with some icing/powdered/confectioners sugar before serving.
- Serve with desired toppings.
This recipe is spot on delish - I've made the exact recipe and also tripled it several times with perfect results each time. Don't miss this one.
Super Yummy! Thanks for sharing...
Delicious and not soggy like other French Toast recipes I have made in the past! Excellent with cinnamon butter!