Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Yummy, filling and just plain scrumptious healthy choice stew.
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 large carrots
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 cup condensed beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 large onion
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Layer potatoes, then carrots.
- Top with meat;.
- sprinkle meat with soy sauce, salt, paprika, pepper and flour.
- Spread with chopped onions.
- Combine beef broth and tomato sauce and pour overall.
- Cover and cook on low 7 -8 hours or high 4 -5 hours.
- Instead of sprinkling the meat with soy sauce, salt, paprika, pepper and flour as the recipes says, I mix those all together in a small bowl. This prevents the flour from becoming clumpy.
- Instead of chopped onions, I use 3 or 4 small yellow onions whole (I'm not an onion fan but still like the.
- taste they give the stew.).
- I add about 1/4 cup barbecue sauce to the top, before.
- putting the cover on. I use whatever variety of sauce that I have on hand. I don't usually buy the "regular" flavor of any brand, but instead have hickory, brown.
- sugar or garlic and onion flavors. The BBQ sauce adds an extra "kick" to the meat and gravy.
- For the beef broth, since I don't usually keep that on hand, I dissolve 1 beef bouillon cube into 1 cup boiling.