1/4 Photos of Denise's Saffron Vegetable Fried Rice
An interesting meld of Indian and Chinese cooking. My husband's cousin always makes this yummy rice for family gatherings. This is her recipe as told to me over the phone. Amounts in the ingredients are our best guesses since she doesn't measure the ingredients. I omitted the salt in the recipe because I cook low salt. You can add salt to taste at step 6. Very little is needed if you choose to add msg and bear in mind that oyster sauce usually contains some salt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1/4 cup sweet pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup carrot (finely diced)
- 3/4 cup peas and carrots (tinned)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons celery (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch msg, powder (optional)
- 1Cook the rice with the saffron and two cups water according to directions on the package or box.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat and let boil for one minute.
- 3Cover saucepan and continue to cook until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked (15 - 20 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 4In a large and deep frying pan or wok, heat oil and sauté carrots, onions and sweet pepper until the onions are translucent.
- 5Add peas and carrots cook a minute or two.
- 6Add the oyster sauce, msg, and rice to the vegetables and mix well.
- 7Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped celery.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Denise's Saffron Vegetable Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.7
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 126.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g