Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my husbands favorite macaroni and cheese. It has a mild cheesy flavor and if you like yours a little bolder, you can use 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar and 8 oz. cubed american
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 16 ounces American cheese, cubed
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water till tender, drain and place in a 3 quart casserole that has been sprayed with cooking spray; In saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add milk and cook and stir till thick and bubbly.
- Add the cubed cheese; stir till melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and stir till mixed;.
- Melt 2 tbsp.
- butter and add italian bread crumbs till just moist.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the macaroni and cheese Bake in a 350 oven for 35- 40 minutes.