These hush puppies have a cake like consistency (not your little ball of dry cornmeal). This is my base recipe, but it can be altered to your own taste, such as less sugar and more jalapeño. The catfish recipe is my husband's, and is more of an ingredient than a recipe, but this is our most requested meal when we're having friends over, so I thought I'd add it. I usually also serve with french fries, onion rings and fried mushrooms. Not the most healthy meal in the world...but oh, so good.
- 3⁄4 cup self rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup plain cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole kernel corn, Drained
- 3⁄4 cup creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 egg, Slightly Beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- peanut oil (for frying)
ROBBYS FRIED CAT FISH
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup seasoned fish fry (We use Louisiana Fish Fry, (it can be found on-line at www.louisianafishfry.com)
- HUSH PUPPIES:.
- Heat oil to 350°F.
- Stir together all ingredients.
- Drop by tablespoon into hot oil (Hint: drop close to oil to prevent getting a bunch of little hush puppies).
- When hush puppies float and are golden on one side, flip and brown other side.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined cookie sheet, in a low oven.
- FRIED CATFISH.
- Rinse catfish fillets in cold water.
- Drain well.
- Salt and pepper the fish. (At this point other seasonings can be added, such as garlic, Old Bay Tony's, etc).
- Dredge fish in Seasoned Fish Fry.
- Deep fry in hot oil.