Recipe by Secondhand Nation
A one-pot curry dish from The Not-Strictly Vegetarian Cookbook, by Lois Dribin & Susan Ivankovich
Top Review by BettyBoop330
I was a little hesitant about making this dish, as I always like reading reviews first, but I have had it in mind for some time and finally took the plunge. I have to admit that I fiddled with the vegetables and some quantities, in accordance with what I had on hand. I had only half a large cauliflower, and reduced the potatoes proportionately. I added 2 stalks of celery (chopped) and one large sweet potato, cubed. I cooked in accordance with the directions, omitting the cardamom (couldn't find it in my crowded spice shelf and didn't want to have to take everything out!) It was easy to make, although it took quite a long time to prepare the veggies. When it was ready, it was good, but I felt that something was missing, so I added my home-cooked garbanzos (about the amount in a can) plus some thawed frozen peas, along with a good teaspoon of garam masala, to up the spice a little. Heated until the peas were ready. The family enjoyed it, going back for seconds. Served it with grilled fish. I think it would go well with pitta bread (Greek style). Next time I think I will up the amounts of spices generally with the additions mentioned.
- 6 medium potatoes, diced into half-inch cubes, with skins on
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 chopped scallions or 1 small chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots (optional) or 2 zucchini, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce or 1⁄4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large stock or soup pot. Stir in all spices and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and onion and saute for 5 more minutes. Add potatoes, cauliflower and optional vegetables, followed by water, salt and soy sauce, sauteing for an additional 10 minutes, stirring often and adding more water if needed.
- Before serving, add plain yogurt.