Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 hrs
For this cake I used inspiration from a couple of popular cakes- Jello Poke Cake and Strawberry Margarita Cake. The end result is an absolutely delicious, lush dessert! I brought this cake to work and it instantly disappeared! For a non-alcoholic version you can sub the Tequila with Water.
- 1 (18 ounce) white cake mix
- 1 cup strawberry margarita mix (I used TGI Fridays)
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup tequila (extra)
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- 2 tablespoons lime rind
- strawberries & lime (to garnish, sliced)
- pink sugar crystals (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 9x13 cake pan (or two 9x9 pans).
- Combine white cake mix, strawberry margarita mix, tequila, vegetable oil and egg whites in large mixing bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Pour into pan.
- Place in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- With a fork, poke wholes generously all over top of cake.
- In a saucepan, boil 1 cup of water.
- Add Strawberry Jello and stir for 2 minutes or as directed on package.
- Add 1/2 cup of Cold water and 1/2 cup of Tequila to Jello and combine.
- Pour carefully over cake and allow to soak into holes.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Mix 2 tbsp of lime rind in with cool whip.
- Frost cake.
- Garnish with Pink Sugar Crystals, Lime Slices and Strawberry Slices
- Serve and enjoy!
OMG this cake was Soooo Good!!!! I substituted Cruzan Banana Rum for the Tequila, used Sugar Free Jell-O and Cool Whip because of diabetics in the family, left out the lime rind and garnish and no pink sugar crystals. So this ended up being a Strawberry Banana Margarita/Daiquiri cake. I WILL BE MAKING THIS ONE AS MANY TIMES AS I CAN!!!!
Wanting to intensify the strawberry flavor, I used a strawberry cake mix & substituted strawberry nectar for both the tequila & the water! Worked out just fine, & the cake was absolutely delicious; most satisfying, & this is definitely a recipe I'd make again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]