Recipe by alleycatb
Had this tonight it was so good I just had to share. It is based on Rachael Ray's Salmon Cakes with modifications by me.
Top Review by DeidreJane
This recipe is sooooo outstanding. The cardamom adds extra zing and loved it! I used left over salmon. I did leave out mace (substituted nutmeg) and then left out the pepper sauce.
- vegetable oil or canola oil, for frying about 1/4 inch
- 2 (6 ounce) portions salmon, cooked drained well or 2 (6 ounce) cans canned salmon, drained well
- 1 cup whole wheat crackers, salted crushed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 pinch mustard powder
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch mace
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 roasted red peppers or 1⁄2 pickled pimiento, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried chives (fresh would be better)
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, a handful, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- salad greens
- coarse salt
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce, mixed with cooked corn and apples
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 kosher dill, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and spin salad greens of your choice and place in salad bowl.
- Drain salmon and fluff with a fork in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add crackers and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients up until and including cayenne pepper sauce.
- Zest lemon into bowl and mix well and form into 1 inch thick patties.
- Heat oil on a medium-high burner.
- Mix mayonnaise, chili sauce, corn, apple, ketchup, and dill in a bowl.
- Toss coarse salt with salad greens; drizzle with lemon juice and toss again. Drizzle with olive oil and divide on plates.
- Fry salmon burgers until golden brown. Flip and brown other side; drain briefly on a paper towel.
- Place burgers on top of salad greens and dollop mayonnaise sauce on top of burgers.
- Makes about 7 burgers.