Recipe by Lvs2Cook
Don't let the long list of ingredients stop you from making this recipe -- it's delicious! My red potatoes were large so I quartered them and I did not peel them. I used baby carrots instead of regular size carrots. The recipe originally comes from Southern Living.
- 4 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 small red potatoes, peeled
- 6 carrots, cleaned and quartered
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Make small slits in the top of the roast and insert slice of garlic into each slit.
- Rub roast with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Brown roast on all sides in large Dutch oven.
- Add onion and wine to roast in Dutch oven.
- Combine tomato sauce and next 5 ingredients; stir well. Pour over roast.
- Bring liquid to a boil in Dutch oven, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and celery and cover and simmer for 1 more hour or until roast and veggies are tender.
- Transfer roast to serving platter and spoon veggies around roast using a slotted spoon.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Spoon pan drippings over roast and veggies and serve.