1/1 Photo of Deluxe Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake Layers
1 hr 5 mins
My absolute 'go-to' recipe for chocolate cake. The brown sugar gives it depth. This recipe is for cake layers only. Use your favorite frosting. From the Hershey's Test Kitchens.
My Private Note
cake la ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Break chocolate into pieces; place in small saucepan with 1/3 cup water. Stir constantly over low heat until chocolate has melted. Cool. (This can be successfully done in microwave. Go slow so as not to burn the chocolate.).
- 2Cream butter and sugar in large mixing bowl until very light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Blend in chocolate.
- 3Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with 1 cup water on low speed. Beat just until well-blended. Pour batter into well-greased and floured cake pans.
- 4Tip: outline a piece of waxed paper the size of the bottom of the cake pan and cut with sissors to size and place in bottom. No need to grease or butter pan.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees. Cake is done if toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans by inverting onto wire rack. If using waxed paper liner, remove and discard. Cool cake layers completely before frosting.
- 6Baking Times:.
- 7Two 8-inch layer pans -- 35-40 minutes.
- 8Two 9-inch layer pans -- 30-35 minutes.
- 9Two 8- or 9-inch square pans -- 30-35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deluxe Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake Layers
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.9
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.5 mg
- Sodium 329.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 40.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g