Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A quick and delicious side dish! You can double and bake in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Saute some finely chopped celery if desired also, you can really use as much fresh sliced mushrooms as you wish for this, but the more you use the better it will be lol! Try to use a herb-flavor stuffing mix for this.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 (8 ounce) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet melt butter; add in the onion and saute for 5 minutes (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes).
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and cook until they loose their moisture (about 6 minutes).
- Add in the stuffing mix; stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon half the mushroom/stuffing mixture into the bottom of the dish, then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup Parmesan, then half of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers, ending up with the grated cheddar on top.
- Dot with 1/4 cup butter pieces over the cheddar cheese.
- Drizzle/pour the half and half cream over the casserole.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes or until hot and set in the middle of the casserole.
- If desired you can bake uncovered for 30 minutes, just sprinkle with the Parmesan and add on the cheddar cheese the last 5-6 minutes of baking.